IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING OPEN BURNING
All open burning that takes place within the boundaries of the Poudre Fire Authority’s jurisdiction require a permit. To apply for an Open Burning Permit, you must complete the Application and the Agreement which follows.
Exception: Fires contained in a portable outdoor fire appliance used for pleasure, religious/ceremonial, or cooking.
PERMIT REQUIREMENTS/ CRITERIA
1. You must notify Fire Dispatch 970-416-2600 on the day of and immediately before burning. You must also notify Fire Dispatch upon completion of the burn.
2. You, or a competent and non-impaired person appointed by you, must constantly and physically attend to the fire with appropriate and adequate extinguishing equipment available and ready for immediate use. This permit must be in your, or the person attending the fire, possession at all times during the burn.
3. You shall not burn when current or expected winds exceed 10 miles per hour.
4. You must conduct any burn a minimum of 50 feet away from any structure or other combustible material.
5. You must ensure the burn being conducted is free of rubber, tires, plastics, wire insulation, household rubbish or refuse, paper, cardboard, furniture, construction debris, fencing, treated wood, grass, leaves, yard waste, or any other smoke producing material.
6. Tree limbs shall not exceed four inches in diameter.
7. You shall only burn between sun-rise and sun-down unless the permit states otherwise. Fires must be extinguished by dark. Exceptions are cooking, recreational fires, and bonfires.
8. The above criteria apply to all burns including agricultural burns.
9. Violation of the above conditions can be cited under Colorado Statute and the 2006 International Fire Code in accordance with City of Fort Collins, Town of Timnath and Larimer County code adoptions.
Fire Prevention Bureau
102 Remington Street
Fort Collins, CO 80524
Fire Weather Information:
Select zone 215 above 6000’ or zone 238 below 6000’